Virginia’s governor on Saturday declared a state of emergency after protesters and counterprotesters clashed ahead of a “Unite the Right” rally of White Nationalists in Charlottesville, Virginia, CNN reports.
One person died and at least seven people were hurt when a speeding car slammed into another car that was driving through scores of counterprotesters, the report says:
Fistfights and screaming matches erupted Saturday, barely 12 hours after a scuffle Friday night at the nearby University of Virginia between torch-bearing demonstrators and counterprotesters.
Saturday’s rally was the latest event drawing white nationalists and right-wing activists from across the country to this Democratic-voting town — a development precipitated by the city’s decision to remove symbols of its Confederate past.
Donald Trump, who is on a so-called working vacation, tweeted that all Americans must condemn hate and violence, without mentioning the Charlottesville incident directly.
This a developing story…
10 Moments Of Black Excellence That Inspired Us In The Last Year
1. “Hidden Figures” Tops The Box OfficeSource: 1 of 9
2. Ava Duvernay Makes HistorySource: 2 of 9
3. Tracee Ellis Ross Wins BigSource: 3 of 9
4. Kamala HarrisSource: 4 of 9
5. Solange Gets “A Seat At The Table”Source: 5 of 9
6. Beyonce Gets In “Formation”Source: 6 of 9
7. Black Olympic MagicSource: 7 of 9
8. The Women’s MarchSource: 8 of 9
9. Social JusticeSource: 9 of 9
State Of Emergency Declared In Virginia Amid Violent White Nationalist Rally was originally published on newsone.com