A Florida was in for a shock when her school asked her to change her natural hair style.
For Nicole Orr, 16, her hair is a point of pride. It’s almost her trademark for the Montverde Academy junior. “People say they love my hair because it’s so diverse, curly and Afro-centric,” she told Fox 35 Orlando.
It never occurred to Nicole that her style would be a problem with school administrators. It was a surprise when the school told her parents that it violated the dress code, Fox 35 Orlando reports.
“I received a call saying that my daughter needed to get her hair done and she wears her natural and I was kind of taken aback by it,” Nicole’s father, Eric Orr, said.
Nicole’s mom, Secily Wilson, claimed the young lady felt ostracized for wearing her natural texture. Secily explained to Fox 35 Orlando, “She literally felt, ‘Wow, what’s wrong with my hair? The Caucasian girls are able to wear their natural hair straight. Why can’t I wear my natural hair the way that it grows?’”
When asked what the specific problem with Nicoles hair style was, administrators cited a particular line in the student handbook that left a lot of room open for interpretation.
“It said ‘dread-like’ hair and so that could be ambiguous,” Eric argued, “and it could give you latitude to target a certain person or a certain group so we felt we needed to address the issue.”
Eric and Secily later sat down with the Montverde’s headmaster, Dr. Kasey Kesselring, to get more clarification on the matter.
“My understanding in talking with the dean of students, I think it was more in line with that neat and organized look that we’re going for. Not so much the issue of dread locks per say,” the headmaster told Fox 35 Orlando.
After some consideration, the headmaster opted to get rid of the problematic line in the dress code. Nicole’s parents are glad they took the school on to make sure that what happened to their daughter doesn’t happen to any other students.
“To know that we were able to help our daughter and all the other daughters or boys out there,” Secily said. “We feel pretty good about it.”
1. MJ was a victim of physical abuse from his father as a child. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey, he shed tears and claimed that he was so terrified of his father that he would often vomit when he saw him.
1 of 20
2. His favorite animated character from childhood was Pinocchio.
2 of 20
3. When MJ listened to the songs from his days in The Jackson 5, he said he sounded like “Minnie Mouse.”
3 of 20
4. His middle name was Joseph – Michael Joseph Jackson.
4 of 20
5. “Billie Jean” is allegedly based on a true story. MJ claims an obsessive fan tried to say he was the father of her child.
5 of 20
6. His first song to hit the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart was “Ben” in 1972.
6 of 20
7. MJ was a huge Beatles fan. He paid $47 million for the publishing rights to the Beatles back catalogue in 1985 and sold a share of it to Sony in 1995 for $95 million.
7 of 20
8. Get this… The costumes for the “Thriller” video came from the Salvation Army.
8 of 20
9. Jackson invented and owns the patent for the special anti-gravity boots he wore that allowed him to lean forward extremely far in live performances of “Smooth Criminal.”
9 of 20
10. MJ loved animals, and had several…strange pets. He had a python called Crusher, two llamas called Louis and Lola, and his most famous pet was Bubbles, the chimpanzee.
10 of 20
11. Sources say MJ “borrowed” the Moonwalk from street dancers he saw outside a hotel.
11 of 20
12. The original song title for “Thriller” was “Starlight.”
12 of 20
13. Sources say MJ slept in an oxygen tent to live longer and for cosmetic purposes.
13 of 20
14. MJ was a proud owner of a 2,700-acre Neverland Ranch that has a theme park, a menagerie, and a movie theater.
14 of 20
15. “Home Alone” star Macaulay Culkin was one of MJ’s closest friends, and is the godfather of two of Jackson’s children.
15 of 20
16. MJ’s estate signed a deal with Sony that gave them access to his unreleased recordings for $250 million.
16 of 20
17. MJ often wore a black armband to remind people of the suffering of children around the world.
17 of 20
18. The Los Angeles mansion he was renting just before he passed away once belonged to Sean Connery.
18 of 20
19. MJ was allegedly a pretty avid reader… He was once accused by a library of owing $1 million in overdue book fines.
19 of 20
20. Wikipedia, Twitter, and AOL’s Instant Messenger all crashed at 3:15PM on the day MJ died: June 25, 2009.
20 of 20
Continue reading School Asks Naturalista Teen To ‘Get Her Hair Done’
20 Things You Didn’t Know About The Legendary Michael Jackson