It was originally a sunny, celebratory day, shortly after his parents brought baby Bryce home from the hospital. But the day turned dark when a knock at their door brought life-changing news. Bryce had been diagnosed with sickle cell disease.
Adrienne and Bruce, parents of Bryce, were fearful for his future. “I was just in panic mode, in shock,” said Adrienne. Then they got the call from St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital where Bryce was offered ongoing care for sickle cell disease. At St. Jude, everything changed. Bryce’s treatment has included a daily penicillin regimen, and when he was 1 year old,
the addition of a drug called hydroxyurea.
“The plan was strategically outlined to let me know we are all in it as a team, and St. Jude is committed to my son’s outcome and well-being,” Adrienne explained. “There’s a real possibility we could see a cure for sickle cell during Bryce’s lifetime, and that’s priceless for us.”
Bryce, now 4, is a joyful and energetic kiddo. He loves books and puzzles and has a sweet relationship with older sister Chloe.
Adrienne, Bruce and Chloe all come to St. Jude to support Bryce for each of his checkups. When it comes to his care, it’s a family affair. And families, like Bryce’s, never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food — because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.
“To be able to just get my son here and not think about how we will pay for it, it just takes so much weight off of my family,” said Adrienne. “To the St. Jude supporters, thank you for your commitment to finding a cure. Being involved with St. Jude through Bryce, I see the magnitude of what your donations and contributions accomplish.”
1. MJ was a victim of physical abuse from his father as a child. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey, he shed tears and claimed that he was so terrified of his father that he would often vomit when he saw him.
1 of 20
2. His favorite animated character from childhood was Pinocchio.
2 of 20
3. When MJ listened to the songs from his days in The Jackson 5, he said he sounded like “Minnie Mouse.”
3 of 20
4. His middle name was Joseph – Michael Joseph Jackson.
4 of 20
5. “Billie Jean” is allegedly based on a true story. MJ claims an obsessive fan tried to say he was the father of her child.
5 of 20
6. His first song to hit the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart was “Ben” in 1972.
6 of 20
7. MJ was a huge Beatles fan. He paid $47 million for the publishing rights to the Beatles back catalogue in 1985 and sold a share of it to Sony in 1995 for $95 million.
7 of 20
8. Get this… The costumes for the “Thriller” video came from the Salvation Army.
8 of 20
9. Jackson invented and owns the patent for the special anti-gravity boots he wore that allowed him to lean forward extremely far in live performances of “Smooth Criminal.”
9 of 20
10. MJ loved animals, and had several…strange pets. He had a python called Crusher, two llamas called Louis and Lola, and his most famous pet was Bubbles, the chimpanzee.
10 of 20
11. Sources say MJ “borrowed” the Moonwalk from street dancers he saw outside a hotel.
11 of 20
12. The original song title for “Thriller” was “Starlight.”
12 of 20
13. Sources say MJ slept in an oxygen tent to live longer and for cosmetic purposes.
13 of 20
14. MJ was a proud owner of a 2,700-acre Neverland Ranch that has a theme park, a menagerie, and a movie theater.
14 of 20
15. “Home Alone” star Macaulay Culkin was one of MJ’s closest friends, and is the godfather of two of Jackson’s children.
15 of 20
16. MJ’s estate signed a deal with Sony that gave them access to his unreleased recordings for $250 million.
16 of 20
17. MJ often wore a black armband to remind people of the suffering of children around the world.
17 of 20
18. The Los Angeles mansion he was renting just before he passed away once belonged to Sean Connery.
18 of 20
19. MJ was allegedly a pretty avid reader… He was once accused by a library of owing $1 million in overdue book fines.
19 of 20
20. Wikipedia, Twitter, and AOL’s Instant Messenger all crashed at 3:15PM on the day MJ died: June 25, 2009.
20 of 20
Continue reading Meet St. Jude Patient Bryce
20 Things You Didn’t Know About The Legendary Michael Jackson