Even with the ease of a swipe on Tinder or the slew of selections on Grindr, the online dating world can be intimidating for woman, specifically lesbians, who want to find potential mates or fun flings.
“Dattch,” a UK-based online dating app for lesbians looking for love has just been released in the U.S. The app is said to be the first one designed specifically for women, unlike other online dating services like male-focused Tinder and gay male-oriented Grindr. Instead of relying heavily on user’s pictures and awkward 400-word bios, “Dattch” users create Pinterest-like boards that let them show off activities, people and ideas they like (Tyra GIFs, anyone?). CEO Robyn Exton says this model caters to the way women naturally respond to engaging with someone else online.
“Guys will see a picture, send a girl a message and see what happens. Whereas girls will look at a picture two or three times before deciding to send a message,” she says.
When the app started out, profiles consisted of a big picture and a bit of text for a bio. “The conversations that started were terrible,” says Exton. “They were opening with, ‘You look nice’, ‘You have nice eyes,’ etc. And who thinks that’s an exciting thing to reply to?” In response, the app took a much more visual turn.
Exton even says that the app has a similar approach to an Instagram feed, in which you “get a sense of who they are really quickly.” An added bonus is that Exton and her team seem to take user safety seriously, making them validate their Facebook accounts when they join.
It’s refreshing that on online dating service finally allows women to mingle with others based on their interests, not just their looks. Online dating can already be awkward with weird “What-Are-You-Up-To?” and “What-Do-You-Do”? messages, it helps that we could connect on our love for Lucky Charms instead. Let’s keep this going with other online dating apps, please. Death to the creepy exchanges.
'Martin' Taught Me Everything I Need To Know About Love
1. Don't Pretend That Everything Is Fine When You're Losing ItSource: 1 of 18
2. Wait For The Ring If He's Worth ItSource: 2 of 18
3. Prioritize Your Mate's WellnessSource: 3 of 18
4. Never Ever Take Off Your Ring To See If You've Still Got ItSource: 4 of 18
5. Practice For Better Of For Worse While You're DatingSource: 5 of 18
6. Keep You Boo's SecretsSource: 6 of 18
7. Contribute To Your Man's Mental HealthSource: 7 of 18
8. A Couple Who Works Out Together, Usually Works OutSource: 8 of 18
9. Stand By Your Man, Even If A Mystery Kid Comes Out Of The WoodworksSource: 9 of 18
10. Be Your Lover's Best FriendSource: 10 of 18
11. Make Sure Your Relationship Isn't Based On Just SexSource: 11 of 18
12. Don't Let It Bother You If She Makes MoreSource: 12 of 18
13. Defend Your Woman's HonorSource: 13 of 18
14. Let Your Man, Be A ManSource: 14 of 18
15. Meeting The ParentsSource: 15 of 18
16. Don't Try To Change Your Significant OtherSource: 16 of 18
17. Fight For Your Man, When He's RightSource: 17 of 18
18. Never Make Your Lover Feel Less ThanSource: 18 of 18
New Lesbian Dating App ‘Dattch’ Aims To Be More Like Pinterest Than Tinder was originally published on hellobeautiful.com