D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser announced the appointment of Pamela Smith as the next Chief of Police. Smith holds the distinction of being the first African American to assume this role in the history of the MPD. With an impressive 25 years of law enforcement experience, she most recently served as the Assistant Chief of Police in the Homeland Security Bureau.
Before that, Smith made significant contributions as the MPD’s Chief Equity Officer, emphasizing diversity, equity, and inclusion within the department. Her career began in 1998 with the United States Park Police in San Francisco, and she has since served in New York and Atlanta.
This appointment follows the retirement of former D.C. Police Chief Robert J. Contee in May, during which time Ashan Benedict acted as the interim police chief. In June, Mayor Bowser sought community input through a survey to determine the priorities for the next police chief.
- ATL Is More Than Just Full: Mayor Andre Dickens Talks With RCU
- High Energy Costs? The U.S. Dept. of Energy Has A Solution!
- Aid Is On The Way: The Biden-Harris Administration Helping HBCU’s
- Introducing Ava-Leigh: The Food Network’s Next Big Star!
- JSU Invades Atlanta: President Hudson Talks Celebration Bowl, Culture, & Its Bright Future
- The Obama Portraits Are Coming To Atlanta!
- Wait My Turn? I’m 47! Mayor Elect Andre Dickens Talks With Ryan Cameron!
- BREAKING: Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms Live From The Nation’s Capital
- “Why Do You Want To Be Mayor?” Felicia Moore Joins Ryan Cameron Uncensored
- Headed Back To The Poll: Andre Dickens Talks Runoff With Ryan Cameron
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Content in Your Inbox:
Rest In Power: Notable Black Folks Who We’ve Lost In 2024
Shooting At Kansas City Chiefs Parade
From The “A” To The World: Reactions to Usher’s Super Bowl LVIII Halftime Show
Usher Developing Series on Black Love In Atlanta… And Social Media Has Thoughts
X Clowns Jermaine Dupri’s Apple Music Halftime Show Fit, Say His Socks Were So So Trash
Make It Last Forever Tour Featuring Keith Sweat, Tyrese, & More
Here Are 6 Looks You Need To Slay Valentine’s Day This Year
Cirque du Soleil Returns to Metro Atlanta!