Instead of having a big cake and tons of presents, a Chicago 6-year-old decided the best gift to receive for her birthday was the feeling of giving back to others.
According to ABC News, Armani Crews decided to feed the homeless to celebrate turning 6 on March 8. And she was clear that she wanted them to enjoy everything she would have served at her own party.
“I said, ‘OK, we’ll make some sandwiches,’ to which Armani said, ‘No. I want the same thing we’d have at my birthday party,’” her mother recalled.
Even when her father pressed that this would mean she wasn’t getting any presents, the little girl said that was just fine by her. Soon after, the family spent nearly $300 on food to deliver to homeless people in the city’s East Garfield Park neighborhood. And the menu was off the chain! They served chicken, fish, spaghetti, corn, green beans, mashed potatoes, rolls, cake, cookies and fruit.
In addition, the Crews’ church congregation showed their support by donating toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, deodorant, hand sanitizer and a snacks for mini-care packages that were pass out as well. And her event was a success: Wearing a tiara on her head, she helped feed 125 people, ABC noted.
“She was excited. She was happy. Everybody was being fed. …One of the gentleman said he hadn’t had a hot meal in a long time, ” Crews mother said.
Even better: This won’t be a one and done situation. The 6-year-old wants to host another community meal “within the next couple of weeks.”
Love it! What a special little girl!
Where Are Our Girls? 10 Black Teens Have Gone Missing In The Washington, D.C. Area
SportsCenter’s Tribute To ‘A Different World’ Is Giving Us Life!
Why Lupita Nyong’o’s ‘Coming To America’-Themed Party Was Everything!
Also On Majic 107.5, Atlanta:
20 Things You Didn’t Know About The Legendary Michael Jackson
20 photos Launch gallery
1. MJ was a victim of physical abuse from his father as a child. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey, he shed tears and claimed that he was so terrified of his father that he would often vomit when he saw him.
1 of 20
2. His favorite animated character from childhood was Pinocchio.
2 of 20
3. When MJ listened to the songs from his days in The Jackson 5, he said he sounded like “Minnie Mouse.”
3 of 20
4. His middle name was Joseph – Michael Joseph Jackson.
4 of 20
5. “Billie Jean” is allegedly based on a true story. MJ claims an obsessive fan tried to say he was the father of her child.
5 of 20
6. His first song to hit the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart was “Ben” in 1972.
6 of 20
7. MJ was a huge Beatles fan. He paid $47 million for the publishing rights to the Beatles back catalogue in 1985 and sold a share of it to Sony in 1995 for $95 million.
7 of 20
8. Get this… The costumes for the “Thriller” video came from the Salvation Army.
8 of 20
9. Jackson invented and owns the patent for the special anti-gravity boots he wore that allowed him to lean forward extremely far in live performances of “Smooth Criminal.”
9 of 20
10. MJ loved animals, and had several…strange pets. He had a python called Crusher, two llamas called Louis and Lola, and his most famous pet was Bubbles, the chimpanzee.
10 of 20
11. Sources say MJ “borrowed” the Moonwalk from street dancers he saw outside a hotel.
11 of 20
12. The original song title for “Thriller” was “Starlight.”
12 of 20
13. Sources say MJ slept in an oxygen tent to live longer and for cosmetic purposes.
13 of 20
14. MJ was a proud owner of a 2,700-acre Neverland Ranch that has a theme park, a menagerie, and a movie theater.
14 of 20
15. “Home Alone” star Macaulay Culkin was one of MJ’s closest friends, and is the godfather of two of Jackson’s children.
15 of 20
16. MJ’s estate signed a deal with Sony that gave them access to his unreleased recordings for $250 million.
16 of 20
17. MJ often wore a black armband to remind people of the suffering of children around the world.
17 of 20
18. The Los Angeles mansion he was renting just before he passed away once belonged to Sean Connery.
18 of 20
19. MJ was allegedly a pretty avid reader… He was once accused by a library of owing $1 million in overdue book fines.
19 of 20
20. Wikipedia, Twitter, and AOL’s Instant Messenger all crashed at 3:15PM on the day MJ died: June 25, 2009.
20 of 20