It’s almost been a year since the world lost one of its greatest musical talents, when icon Prince passed away unexpectedly last spring. During the early stages of his death there were many rumors and gossip flying around about his actual cause of death and usage of drugs, with former singer and Prince protégé Sinead O’Connor circulating the worst rumor of all. She blatantly accused former late-night talk show host and close friend of Prince, Arsenio Hall, of allegedly supplying him with drugs.
Source: Tim Mosenfelder / Getty
As the first anniversary of his passing nears, Sinead O’Connor has finally decided to apologize to Arsenio Hall for spreading a rumor that he was Prince’s drug supplier for many years and thus contributed to his death. The Root has further details surrounding this story, including what Hall plans to do with his pending $5 million lawsuit against O’Connor for defamation.
The Root reports:
O’Connor posted on Facebook insinuating that Hall was the man responsible for providing Prince with drugs for over a decade. Writing:
“Two words for the DEA investigating where Prince got his drugs over the decades … Arsenio Hall (aka Prince’s and Eddie Murphy’s bitch). Anyone imagining Prince was not a long time hard drug user is living in cloud cuckoo land. Arsenio I’ve reported you to the Carver County Sheriff’s office. Expect their call. They are aware you spiked me years ago at Eddie Murphy’s house. You best get tidying your man cave,” O’Connor posted on Facebook insinuating that Hall was the man responsible for providing Prince with drugs for over a decade.
In response to the allegations, Hall filed a $5 million defamation lawsuit against O’Connor and demanded a retraction. And that’s exactly what he’s received.
“I apologize for my Facebook posts about Arsenio to the extent that anyone thought I was accusing him of acting as Prince’s drug dealer and supplying him with illegal hard drugs, or insinuating that Arsenio had something to do with Prince’s death,” O’Connor told TMZ. “I sincerely apologize because those statements would be false, and I retract them unequivocally.” Hall’s publicist stated that they have received the apology and the lawsuit will be dropped.
O’Connor has been known for her increasingly erratic behavior and outbursts over the years, so her accusing Hall of something so serious and then admitting that she lied, is not surprising.
1. MJ was a victim of physical abuse from his father as a child. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey, he shed tears and claimed that he was so terrified of his father that he would often vomit when he saw him.
1 of 20
2. His favorite animated character from childhood was Pinocchio.
2 of 20
3. When MJ listened to the songs from his days in The Jackson 5, he said he sounded like “Minnie Mouse.”
3 of 20
4. His middle name was Joseph – Michael Joseph Jackson.
4 of 20
5. “Billie Jean” is allegedly based on a true story. MJ claims an obsessive fan tried to say he was the father of her child.
5 of 20
6. His first song to hit the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart was “Ben” in 1972.
6 of 20
7. MJ was a huge Beatles fan. He paid $47 million for the publishing rights to the Beatles back catalogue in 1985 and sold a share of it to Sony in 1995 for $95 million.
7 of 20
8. Get this… The costumes for the “Thriller” video came from the Salvation Army.
8 of 20
9. Jackson invented and owns the patent for the special anti-gravity boots he wore that allowed him to lean forward extremely far in live performances of “Smooth Criminal.”
9 of 20
10. MJ loved animals, and had several…strange pets. He had a python called Crusher, two llamas called Louis and Lola, and his most famous pet was Bubbles, the chimpanzee.
10 of 20
11. Sources say MJ “borrowed” the Moonwalk from street dancers he saw outside a hotel.
11 of 20
12. The original song title for “Thriller” was “Starlight.”
12 of 20
13. Sources say MJ slept in an oxygen tent to live longer and for cosmetic purposes.
13 of 20
14. MJ was a proud owner of a 2,700-acre Neverland Ranch that has a theme park, a menagerie, and a movie theater.
14 of 20
15. “Home Alone” star Macaulay Culkin was one of MJ’s closest friends, and is the godfather of two of Jackson’s children.
15 of 20
16. MJ’s estate signed a deal with Sony that gave them access to his unreleased recordings for $250 million.
16 of 20
17. MJ often wore a black armband to remind people of the suffering of children around the world.
17 of 20
18. The Los Angeles mansion he was renting just before he passed away once belonged to Sean Connery.
18 of 20
19. MJ was allegedly a pretty avid reader… He was once accused by a library of owing $1 million in overdue book fines.
19 of 20
20. Wikipedia, Twitter, and AOL’s Instant Messenger all crashed at 3:15PM on the day MJ died: June 25, 2009.
20 of 20
Continue reading Sinead O’Connor Apologizes To Arsenio Hall For Prince Drug Rumor
20 Things You Didn’t Know About The Legendary Michael Jackson