Living with fibroids can be an unbelievably painful struggle that can leave sufferers feeling alone and ashamed, which is why having a celebrity voice their similar experience can help others in more ways than one. Former reality star Toya Wright is opening up about living with painful fibroids in an exclusive interview with PEOPLE magazine.
Source: Prince Williams / Getty
Toya Wright credits changing her diet and regular exercise with helping her cope with a painful fibroid issue in a new interview with PEOPLEmagazine. Wright says her journey began three years ago when she started to experience severe cramping and heavy bleeding during her period, which led her to visit her doctor who diagnosed her with fibroids.
Upon receiving her diagnosis, she recalls, “I was nervous because at the time I didn’t know anything about fibroids.” Wright also explained that she also received another surprise diagnosis about her uterus that prompted her to make a complete lifestyle change.
Some of the interview highlights are below:
Wright, not only experienced painful cramps and excessive bleeding, but also gained weight. “My uterus is the size of the five-months pregnant woman,” says Wright. To deal with the pain and weight gain, Wright made changes to her diet and exercise routine. She began drinking more water and eliminated caffeine, red meat and fatty foods from her diet.
“I had to switch it up because I used to eat all types of stuff and I would just get bigger,” she says. “I had to scale back and eat healthier things like fish and salads.” She also began exercising four times a week.
“I found exercising has been more helpful in relieving the symptoms,” says Wright. “I do a lot of cardio, like walking and cycling. At that time of the month, the fibroids flare up, and when I exercise it helps me not feel so much pain.”
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, fibroids are relatively common — 20 to 80 percent of women develop them by the time they reach age 50. If you are experiencing similar symptoms schedule an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.
1. MJ was a victim of physical abuse from his father as a child. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey, he shed tears and claimed that he was so terrified of his father that he would often vomit when he saw him.
1 of 20
2. His favorite animated character from childhood was Pinocchio.
2 of 20
3. When MJ listened to the songs from his days in The Jackson 5, he said he sounded like “Minnie Mouse.”
3 of 20
4. His middle name was Joseph – Michael Joseph Jackson.
4 of 20
5. “Billie Jean” is allegedly based on a true story. MJ claims an obsessive fan tried to say he was the father of her child.
5 of 20
6. His first song to hit the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart was “Ben” in 1972.
6 of 20
7. MJ was a huge Beatles fan. He paid $47 million for the publishing rights to the Beatles back catalogue in 1985 and sold a share of it to Sony in 1995 for $95 million.
7 of 20
8. Get this… The costumes for the “Thriller” video came from the Salvation Army.
8 of 20
9. Jackson invented and owns the patent for the special anti-gravity boots he wore that allowed him to lean forward extremely far in live performances of “Smooth Criminal.”
9 of 20
10. MJ loved animals, and had several…strange pets. He had a python called Crusher, two llamas called Louis and Lola, and his most famous pet was Bubbles, the chimpanzee.
10 of 20
11. Sources say MJ “borrowed” the Moonwalk from street dancers he saw outside a hotel.
11 of 20
12. The original song title for “Thriller” was “Starlight.”
12 of 20
13. Sources say MJ slept in an oxygen tent to live longer and for cosmetic purposes.
13 of 20
14. MJ was a proud owner of a 2,700-acre Neverland Ranch that has a theme park, a menagerie, and a movie theater.
14 of 20
15. “Home Alone” star Macaulay Culkin was one of MJ’s closest friends, and is the godfather of two of Jackson’s children.
15 of 20
16. MJ’s estate signed a deal with Sony that gave them access to his unreleased recordings for $250 million.
16 of 20
17. MJ often wore a black armband to remind people of the suffering of children around the world.
17 of 20
18. The Los Angeles mansion he was renting just before he passed away once belonged to Sean Connery.
18 of 20
19. MJ was allegedly a pretty avid reader… He was once accused by a library of owing $1 million in overdue book fines.
19 of 20
20. Wikipedia, Twitter, and AOL’s Instant Messenger all crashed at 3:15PM on the day MJ died: June 25, 2009.
20 of 20
Continue reading Toya Wright Talks Living With Painful Fibroids In ‘PEOPLE’ Exclusive
20 Things You Didn’t Know About The Legendary Michael Jackson