With so many great television shows out today, it’s hard to pick a new favorite every season. Between Real Housewives, Love & Hip Hop, Shondaland Thursdays and Being Mary Jane, it’s impossible to keep up. But if you’re not watching our newest guilty pleasure Quantico, you’re definitely missing out.
The show itself is pretty standard — beautiful, diverse cast, interesting enough storylines and solid action scenes. But it’s the star of the show — Bollywood superstar Priyanka Chopra — who really keeps us watching. Not only is she gorgeous and badass, she’s also breaking racial barriers on network television and demanding respect as a woman of color in a notoriously White industry.
The Indian beauty is definitely our woman crush this week. Check out five reasons why we’re obsessed.
She’s Breaking Barriers:
Indian actors have definitely been making strides in Hollywood, but there are very few in starring roles. We love Mindy Kaling for her groundbreaking hit The Mindy Project, but Chopra is one of the first Indian stars to headline a drama in a starring role. When ABC first approached her for the role, she reportedly made sure that she would not be a side character and that she would just be treated as an actress, not as a stereotype.
She’s Been In The Spotlight Since She Was 17
The 33-year-old beauty is breaking onto the American scene, but she’s been a huge star for more than 15 years. When she was 17 and a high school student in America, her mother entered her in the Miss India pageant. When she won, the following year, she went on to win Miss World and then became a certified superstar. She said once she began landing movie roles, she began to take her career quite seriously.
She’s Also A Singer — And Planning To Release An Album
The star recently told The Coveteur that she hasn’t put out her first album because she hasn’t had the time, but that she’s signed to Interscope and loves music.
“Singing is something I did even before I spoke — I loved my alphabet singing. My dad is a musician, along with being a surgeon, so I grew up in a very musical home.”
Did you know she released a song with Pitbull? Check it out below:
She’s Received Tons Of Support From Her Fellow ABC Star Kerry Washington
Chopra said doing TV took a lot of getting used to, especially the long hours! She told the LA Times: It’s 16-hour days. Kerry Washington told me, “You will not be prepared for this, because you’ve never done TV. When you freak out, call me.” And I freaked out and I called her. She’s been amazingly encouraging of me.
Her Father Was So Concerned About Her When She Was A Teen That He Put Bars On The Windows
She told GQ in a recent interview: I came back from school in America, I was seventeen, and yeah—I may have attracted some attention. I can say that. [laughs] So my dad, you know, being a possessive, protective dad of a teenager, he… jailed our house! He put wrought-iron bars on my windows because I had one guy try to sneak into my balcony, and my dad really freaked out about it. It only lasted, like, six months. I conformed, and my dad conformed, and we both kind of adjusted.
Watch Quantico on Sundays on ABC at 10 p.m.
Victoria's Secret Fashion Show: Black Models Then and Now
1. Victoria's Secret Fashion Show: Black Models Then and NowSource:Getty 1 of 26
2. Naomi CampbellSource:Getty 2 of 26
3. Veronica WebbSource:Getty 3 of 26
4. Tyra BanksSource:Getty 4 of 26
5. Georgianna RobertsonSource:Getty 5 of 26
6. Alek WekSource:Getty 6 of 26
7. Liya KebedeSource:Getty 7 of 26
8. Jessica WhiteSource:Getty 8 of 26
9. Noemie LenoirSource:Getty 9 of 26
10. Selita EbanksSource:Getty 10 of 26
11. Lyndsey ScottSource:Getty 11 of 26
12. Sessilee LopezSource:Getty 12 of 26
13. Chanel ImanSource:Getty 13 of 26
14. Anais MaliSource:Getty 14 of 26
15. Jourdan DunnSource:Getty 15 of 26
16. Malaika FirthSource:Getty 16 of 26
17. Imaan HammamSource:Getty 17 of 26
18. Grace MaharySource:Getty 18 of 26
19. Joan SmallsSource:Getty 19 of 26
20. Leomie AndersonSource:Getty 20 of 26
21. Sharam DinizSource:Getty 21 of 26
22. Gracie CarvalhoSource:Getty 22 of 26
23. Lais RibeiroSource:Getty 23 of 26
24. Cindy BrunaSource:Getty 24 of 26
25. Jasmine TookesSource:Getty 25 of 26
26. Maria BorgesSource:Getty 26 of 26
Currently Obsessed: ‘Quantico’ Star Priyanka Chopra was originally published on hellobeautiful.com