A 92-year-old Georgia woman has been kicked out of the church where she was a member for more than 50 years for not tithing.
Josephine King received a letter signed by Senior Pastor Derrick Mike of First African Baptist Church in Bainbridge, Georgia. The letter stated that King “has shown non-support” towards the church in the areas of “constant and consistent financial and physical participation.” The letter goes on to state that King is “no longer considered a member of the First African Baptist Church.”
King’s nephew Gerald Simmons said that his aunt was stunned, disappointed and shocked by the letter. He said his aunt had gone above and beyond in the past to financially support the church, but she was considered sick and a shut-in for several months, which was the reason for her lack of attendance recently.
Simmons added that his aunt is not the first person to receive a letter of removal for non-tithing. The church has yet to comment on the situation.
SOURCE: Fox Wilmington
Great Voices In Gospel
1. Dottie PeoplesSource:gospel greats 1 of 9
2. Albertina WalkerSource:Getty Images 2 of 9
3. Andrae Crouch, Sandra Crouch, Edwin HawkinsSource:Getty Images 3 of 9
4. Deitick HaddonSource:Rob Kim Getty Images 4 of 9
5. Dorinda Clark ColeSource:Oxygen 5 of 9
6. Kirk FranklinSource:Getty Images 6 of 9
7. Vickie WinansSource:Getty Images 7 of 9
8. Bebe and Cece WinansSource:Promotional 8 of 9
9. Mary MarySource:We TV 9 of 9