Racism runs rampart in every part of the world, as is apparent by this 21-year-old Australian woman who decided to have an African party called, “This Is Africa” to celebrate her birthday. It’s being reported that after posting the photos, the woman decided to keep the photos up, despite several people telling her how racist the photos were. The girl offered an explanation, “I was Cleopatra and did not encourage my guest to wear anything racist simply to come as something African Inspired.” Oh, well in that case, we understand! *side eye*
While she asked her guests to wear “African themed” clothing to depict the continent, her guests must have misinterpreted her request because the result was several white people in blackface, elephant and gorilla costumes, warpaint, Native American headdresses and there was even a KKK member! WTF?!
The photos have even been reported to Facebook and have still not been taken down. The girl claimed she was never asked to take them down. She started a Tumblr page to offer an explanation, which she has since deleted as well as every other trace of social media she’s on.
What’s sad is that she doesn’t know that Africa isn’t a country. SMH. If you’re going to have a themed party, do your research and offer your guests a cultural experience, instead of an ignorant one. “How can people be annoyed that the majority of the people at the party were celebrating another countries culture.” Is she serious? Why, yes she is.
Check out her explanation here:
Okay don’t even know how to use tumblr but wanted to clarify this.
It was my ‘African themed’ party and it was honestly made that theme because I have always wanted to go to Africa (to teach english) but haven’t made it there yet. In no way was this party intended to hurt anyones feelings or upset anyone at all. In fact as you can tell from the photos I dressed up as cleopatra, whilst MAJORITY of my guests came as animals, that can be found in africa or wore traditional african clothes or even dressed up as famous people who come from africa. If anything this was to celebrate the amazing country and people. However, some guest did decide to paint themselves, although this was in no way my intention or encouraged in the slightest. I understand that this has offended some people and I have no idea how these photos have even been seen, they were simply put on facebook for my guests to see the photos of themselves. I am 100% sure that parties would be held that would be ‘Australian themed’ or American themed or even countries of the world, and in that instance I don’t believe anyone would be offended. People wear oktoberfest cotumes to parties and no one cracks it that they are not German? So what I am saying is I do understand the people who have painted themselves have offended people, although none of them intended that…. but how can people be annoyed that the majority of the people at the party were celebrating another countries culture.
Also one of my friends who is Mauritian painted himself white, but that photos didn’t make it to this page along with the MAJORITY of people who were amazingly detailed costumes that no one could take offense to!! I am sure that not one person at my party felt upset that said guest painted himself white as it was not meant in that way at all.
Also, I have NEVER been asked to take these photos down, however if I had of course I would have done so, as I had no idea that anyone other than friends and guests could see these photos, and to be honest I am not a racist person at all so I didn’t think anyone could possibly take it that way. I intend to spend 2 months teaching english in cambodia in January, and cant wait to do the same in Africa. If you will still have me.
To reiterate, I was cleopatra and did not encourage my guest to wear anything racist simply to come as something African Inspired, much like if you went to an australia day party (Which I am 100% sure people of all races and cultures do every year!!!)
Again I am sorry for those I have offended and the photos have now been removed now that I have eventually been made aware people were upset. For those who know me at all you would know the last thing in the world I would want to do would be to offend people
Check out more photos here:
What do you think of this themed party? Racist or just ignorant fun? Let’s chat @Rhapsodani.
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Check Out This Gallery Of REAL Brown Beauties!
1. Aisha TylerSource:JB Lacroix/Getty Images 1 of 21
2. Robin RobertsSource:Jeff Kravitz/Getty Images 2 of 21
3. Kerry WashingtonSource:Jeffrey Mayer/Getty Images 3 of 21
4. RasheedaSource:Paras Griffin/ Getty Images 4 of 21
5. Phaedra ParksSource:Paras Griffin/Getty Images 5 of 21
6. Ariane DavisSource:Prince Williams/Getty Images 6 of 21
7. Andrea KellySource:Chance Yeh/Getty Images 7 of 21
8. Mimi FaustSource:Getty Images 8 of 21
9. Jurnee Smollett-BellSource:Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images 9 of 21
10. Janelle MonaeSource:Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images 10 of 21
11. Michelle ObamaSource:Yui Mok/Getty Images 11 of 21
12. Gabrielle UnionSource:Jason LaVeris/Getty Images 12 of 21
13. Tia Mowry-HardrictSource:Vincent Sandoval/Getty Images 13 of 21
14. BrandySource:Noel Vasquez/Getty Images 14 of 21
15. Porsha WilliamsSource:Prince Williams/Getty Images 15 of 21
16. Adepero OduyeSource:Monica Schipper/Getty Images 16 of 21
17. Chrisette MicheleSource:John Lamparski/Getty Images 17 of 21
18. Kenya MooreSource:Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images 18 of 21
19. NeNe LeakrsSource:D Dipasupil/Getty Images 19 of 21
20. Angela BassettSource:Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images 20 of 21
21. MonicaSource:Paras Griffin/Getty Images 21 of 21
WTF?! 21-Year-Old White Girl Boasts Racist African Bday Party On Facebook [PHOTOS] was originally published on hellobeautiful.com