Featured Organization: The Center Helping Obesity In Children End Successfully, Inc. (C.H.O.I.C.E.S.)
Address: 1275 SHILOH ROAD, NW, BUILDING 2600, SUITE 2660, KENNESAW GA 30144
PHONE: (678) 819-3663
The mission of The Center Helping Obesity In Children End Successfully, Inc. (CHOICES) is to be a parent and child resource center for the clinically diagnosed and at-risk children of obesity. The Center promotes weight management and lifestyle change through nutrition education, peer socialization, physical activity and community involvement. We offer unique collaborative programming that engages primary influences in a child’s life – parents, family, peers, educator and community. To date we have reached over 35,000 children, youth and adults through outreach activities.
The Center Helping Obesity In Children End Successfully, Inc. (CHOICES) Highlights:
- Inclusion in the General Mills 10 City Community Champions contest after winning in Atlanta (now through 10/31)
- Inclusion in the Aetna Foundation Commemorative Childhood Obesity online competition of 10 national organizations (now through 10/5);
- Began partnership with the City of Atlanta, Office of the Mayor to provide “We Can! Make Healthy CHOICES” family wellness workshops
- Partner with Fulton County Department of Health to provide “Children’s Nutrition Education & Physical Activity Expos” at schools, recreation centers and health event venues
- Nominated for the Robert F. Kennedy Center – Glietzman National Heroes 2010 competition.
Future goals include: In 2011-2012 to provide more programming in Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb & Cherokee Counties; In 2013-2014 to expand into Florida, Alabama, Arkansas & Mississippi with CHOICES Chapters because these states have the highest rates of obesity.