A new proposal in New Orleans would offer intoxicated people a place to sober up as an alternative to jail, the ER, or just being passed out on the street.
According to wwltv.com, some City Council members are in support of a “Short-term Sobriety Center.” The proposed sobering center would hold 20 beds, and serve up to 80 people a day under the care of a team from Odyssey House, a non-profit health care center.
The center would allow New Orleans police and EMS give intoxicated people a safe place to rest for four to eight hours to sober up.
The sobering center would reportedly be located less than a mile from the French Quarter.
The only restriction noted by wwltv.com is, “intoxicated people can only enter the center if they do not have active warrants for their arrest.”
Celebs Who Hail From Louisiana
1. Wendell Pierce - New Orleans1 of 18
2. Toya Wright- New Orleans2 of 18
3. Lil' Wayne- New Orleans3 of 18
4. Quvenzhané Wallis- Houma4 of 18
5. Anthony Mackie- New Orleans5 of 18
6. Eli Manning- New Orleans6 of 18
7. DJ Khaled- New Orleans7 of 18
8. Tyler Perry- New Orleans8 of 18
9. Odell Beckham Jr.-Baton Rouge9 of 18
10. Master P & Romeo- New Orleans10 of 18
11. Dak Prescott- Sulphur11 of 18
12. Luke James- New Orleans12 of 18
13. Kevin Gates- New Orleans13 of 18
14. Don Lemon- Baton Rouge14 of 18
15. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II- New Orleans15 of 18
16. Lynn Whitfield-Baton Rouge16 of 18
17. Mystikal- New Orleans17 of 18
18. Juvenile- New Orleans18 of 18
Proposed ‘Sobering Center’ Would Offer Alternative To Jail For Intoxicated was originally published on blackamericaweb.com