Dr. Jackie from “Married To Medicine,” stopped by “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show” to talk about breast cancer. She has always been very open about her battle with breast cancer and how she survived it twice. This month is Breast Cancer Awareness month and Dr. Jackie wants to talk about ways that can help women and men find out if they have it.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
She mentioned that early detection and knowing your family history is very important. If you know that your great-grandmother or anyone in your family battled the disease it can help you when going to see your doctor. Dr. Jackie also wants people to know that doing your own breast examinations as well as going to get mammograms every year at a certain age can help as well. She mentioned that one of her youngest patients that passed from breast cancer was only 18-years-old.
Dr. Jackie also spoke about her amazing organization 50 Shades of Pink. During the month of October, she puts on a gala to help raise money to find a cure as well as some women to get treatment. Dr. Jackie believes in calling women that face breast cancer warriors and wants everyone to understand that early detection is the best protection.
Make sure you listen to “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show” 6am ET.
Celebrating Breast Cancer Survivors
1. Wanda Sykes found out she had breast cancer when she went in for a breast reduction. She opted for a double mastectomy.Source: 1 of 19
2. Diahann Carroll was diagnosed in 1998 & 10 years later she had a bestselling comedic book about her battle with breast cancer.Source: 2 of 19
3. Patti LaBelle was diagnosed in 2005 and is cancer-free today. (Photo: AP)Source: 3 of 19
4. Kylie Minogue was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005 at age 37 and is now cancer free after chemo. (Photo:AP)Source: 4 of 19
5. Hoda Kotb was diagnosed in 2006 and underwent a mastectomy & reconstructive surgery. She is now cancer-free. (AP)Source: 5 of 19
6. Fashion designer Betsy Johnson was diagnosed in 2002 is now cancer-free. (Photo: AP)Source: 6 of 19
7. Giuliana Rancic was diagnosed at age 36 and underwent a double mastectomy. (Photo: AP)Source: 7 of 19
8. Rene Syler chose to have a preventive mastectomy due to carrying the breast cancer gene. She is cancer-free today and happy.Source: 8 of 19
9. Christina Applegate underwent a double mastectomy and is now cancer-free and working harder than ever. (AP)Source: 9 of 19
10. Poet and author Nikki Giovani battled and conqured both lung and breast cancer.Source: 10 of 19
11. Melissa Ethridge was diagnosed in 2004 at age 43. She performed at the 2005 Grammy Awards bald, beautiful & cancer-free.Source: 11 of 19
12. Retired WNBA player Edna Campbell is a breast cancer survivor and penned a Breast Cancer Recovery Manual. (AP)Source: 12 of 19
13. Cynthia Nixon of Sex & the City fame was diagnosed in 2006. She had a lumpectomy and radiation and is now cancer-free.Source: 13 of 19
14. Richard Roundtree was diagnosed with a rare male breast cancer in ’93 and underwent a double mastectomy at age 61. PRSource: 14 of 19
15. Peter Criss The ex-KISS drummer who penned the power ballad “Beth” is one the few faces of male breast cancer & survivor. PRSource: 15 of 19
16. Actress, director and Oscar-winner Kathy Bates recently revealed she had a double mastectomy and is doing great. PRSource: 16 of 19
17. Singer, novelist, actress & model Marsha Hunt was diagnosed with Breast cancer in 2004 and is now cancer free. (Pinterest)Source: 17 of 19
18. Oklahoma state Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre is a survivor and a tireless advocate for breast cancer research. (Flickr)Source: 18 of 19
19. Nancy Brinker founder of the Susan G Komen for the Cure Foundation is also a breast cancer survivor. (AP)Source: 19 of 19
- Skinny Phat Girls Get Sluttified By Slutty Vegan Atl! Watch Full Video!
- Steve Harvey To Host NFL Honors Feb. 2nd at the FOX Theatre
- Kanye West Donates $10 Million To Fund Extinct Volcano Art Project
- Nas Calls Out Jay-Z Over R. Kelly Collab In Old 2002 Interview With Wendy Williams [Video]
- ‘LHHNYS9’ Recap: Yandy’s Foster Child Drama Puts Her Own Kids In Jeopardy
- Filet-O-Struggle Plate: Trump Caters Dinner For National Champ Clemson Tigers With Fast Food
- Pastor Facing 10 Years In Prison For Stealing $35,000 From Congregation
- Join Radio One Atlanta as we Celebrate the Life & Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Netflix Working With Software Company That Could Possibly Stop The Sharing Of Passwords
- There’s Possibly A ‘You Got Served 2’ On The Way! [VIDEO]