Hello my name is Miss. Pooh and I will be teaching class today. 🙂 How well do we really know about Dr. King besides his civil rights legacy? I’ve found (and fact checked) five facts that may surprise you.
- Martin Luther King Jr. was initially named Michael, not Martin. After a trip his father took to Germany he changed his name to Martin Luther to pay homage to a historic theologian named Martin Luther. When King Jr was two Sr. changed his sons name as well.
- King Jr. skipped the 9th and 11th grade in high school and went on to attend Moorehouse College at the age of 15 . He majored in sociology.
- He went to jail nearly 30 times for acts of civil disobedience.
- King to date is the youngest male to win the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964 at the age of 35.
- Today over 700 streets in the U.S are named after Martin Luther King Jr. with one street in almost every major city! Not counting schools, monuments and churches that follow.
5 Martin Luther King Jr. Facts They Might Not Have Told You In School was originally published on 955thelou.com