Black women spend a lot of time and money to make sure their hair is always kept up. Beauty supply stores can be found all over predominately Black neighborhoods, but many of them are owned by Korean immigrants. Essence reports that they have dominated the industry because of their close ties to hair suppliers as well as wholesalers in South Korea.
Over the past several years Black-owned beauty supply stores continue to rise in different neighborhoods. These women are following in the footsteps of Madame CJ Walker, which is an iconic self-made millionaire and entrepreneur. Recently, two Black women became the youngest in Moreno Valley, California to become business owners.
Judian and Kadeian Brown, the owners of Black Girls Divine Beauty Supply and Salon in Brooklyn, NY, were recently featured in the New York Times. Out of the 10,000 beauty stores that sell hair products catered to black women, only a few hundred of those stores are actually black owned. Although the multibillion-dollar hair industry is dominated by Korean entrepreneurs, these go-getters are breaking into the black hair business despite the enormous challenges they face. We admire the Brown sisters for their ambition!
Kayla Davis. 19, and Keonna Davis, 21, opened KD Haircare Supply and is trying to grow in their communities. Sisters, Judian Brown, 35, and Kadeian Brown, 33 are also thriving at their Black-owned beauty supply store in Brooklyn, NY. Four years ago they opened Black Girls Divine Beauty Supply and Salon. As more of these stores keep opening Black communities will be able to support businesses owned by us.
- Where’d They Get That From: Stetsasonic
- Funk Dat: No Drugs In Here
- Report: Black Woman Jailed After Allegedly Being Sexually Assaulted By State Trooper
- Ending Public Marijuana Arrests Is Nice, But What About Racial Bias In Policing?
- #PalaceSecured: Prince Harry & Meghan Markle Release Official Wedding Photos
- Watch: Police Invent A Brand New Reason To Pull Over An Innocent Black Driver
- Ben Carson Has More Compassion For The Opioid Epidemic Than People In Low-Income Housing
- Strawberry Letter: Is He My Kids Daddy Or GrandDaddy [AUDIO]
- FAB FINDS: 23 Fashionable Ways To Rock Sequins In Your Wardrobe
- Beyoncé Bought A Church
Best Hairstyles On The Red Carpet From The 49th Annual NAACP Image Awards [PHOTOS]
1. THAT’S JUST THE WAVE1 of 18
2. THAT’S JUST THE WAVE2 of 18
3. SLEEK AND CHIC3 of 18
4. SLEEK AND CHIC4 of 18
5. SLEEK AND CHIC5 of 18
6. SLEEK AND CHIC6 of 18
7. BRAIDED BEAUTY7 of 18
8. BRAIDED BEAUTY8 of 18
9. BRAIDED BEAUTY9 of 18
10. BRAIDED BEAUTY10 of 18
11. CROPPED CUTS11 of 18
12. CROPPED CUTS12 of 18
13. AFRO AWESOMENESS13 of 18
14. AFRO AWESOMENESS14 of 18
15. NATURAL UPDOS15 of 18
16. NATURAL UPDOS16 of 18
17. NATURAL UPDOS17 of 18
18. NATURAL UPDOS18 of 18
Why Black-Owned Beauty Supply Stores Are On The Rise was originally published on rickeysmileymorningshow.com