President Donald Trump‘s racist resentment toward Black and brown people was undeniable during his first State of the Union address Tuesday night. Sandwiched between spouting his familiar refrain of “America first” and pretending to reach across the aisle to Democrats, Trump launched a steady barrage of subliminal darts aimed at people with a darker skin hue.
Of the Democrats who did show up — many boycotted — the ones who stood out the most were the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) members, who were draped in Kente cloth, presumably to protest Trump’s supposedly alleged comments where he preferred to African nations as “shithole countries.”
In just about an hour and 20 minutes, Trump managed to take a pot shot at Colin Kaepernick and all of the people who protest racism and police brutality, falsely take credit for low Black unemployment, painted a picture of immigrants with a very broad, Black brush, scapegoated Black folks for the opioid crisis, continued to embellish about the Black homeownership rate and slighted the only Black and brown special guests.
While he explained “why we stand for the national anthem,” he failed to mention that he just so happened to inherit a thriving economy with momentum created by President Barack Obama, another of Trump’s preferred targets of color.
But it may have been the topics of immigration and drugs when Trump took his racial profiling to the next level.
First, he used Black and brown families whose daughters were killed by the MS-13 gang to demonstrate a nonexistent correlation to violent immigrants, something that could potentially serve as a way to divide and not unite families of color.
Perhaps even worse, Trump “implied that Dreamers are gang members,” Van Jones said on CNN afterward, referring to Trump’s comment that :”Americans are dreamers, too.”
Never mind the fact that we are fresh off the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history, courtesy of a White, American born terrorist.
Then he declared that “we must get much tougher on drug dealers and pushers if we are going to succeed in stopping this scourge,” as if the opioid epidemic hasn’t been fueled by many White doctors writing bogus prescriptions as a means to enrich themselves at the expense of getting patients hooked on pills. Meanwhile, big pharma gets a tax break.
Lastly, for the conspiracy theorists out there, it couldn’t be ignored how Trump implored (ordered?) his Black and brown special guests to get up after he introduced them. By contrast, the same wasn’t true for his White special guests. And Twitter noticed.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
All Of The Subliminal Digs Trump Took At Black And Brown Folks During The State Of The Union was originally published on newsone.com