Students at McKinley Technology High School in Washington, D.C. were in for a surprise on Friday when former President Barack Obama stopped by to give them a pep talk for the new school year, reports the New York Daily News.
According to the outlet, Obama—who has been laying low in regards to making public appearances since his presidency—showed up at the school unannounced to provide students with encouraging words. The Daily News reported that during a sit down with the students the former president stressed the importance of education and making contributions to their local communities.
“I do believe that most of the problems we have are going to be solved by you,” he told the students, according to the source.
He was joined by District of Columbia Public Schools Chancellor Antwan Wilson. Following his visit, he took to Twitter to post a photo from the discussion.
According to the Daily News, McKinley Technology High School is the only public high school in the District of Columbia with a focus on STEM education and is a part of the city’s Empowering Males of Color Initiative.
Although Barack Obama isn’t in office anymore, he still has been dedicated to making change. The visit comes just days after he announced that his organization—the Obama Foundation Fellowship—was seeking civic-minded innovators to join his fellowship program.
SOURCE: New York Daily News
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
Barack Obama Makes Surprise Visit To Public School In DC was originally published on newsone.com