The shooter, 53-year-old Cedric Anderson, walked into his wife’s North Park Elementary School classroom with a large rifle around 10:30 a.m. and opened fired with a .357-caliber revolver, the outlet reports.
Tragically, Anderson’s wife, Karen Elaine Smith, 53, was struck and killed, while two students were also shot. Anderson later turned the gun on himself, turning the incident into a murder-suicide.
Jonathan Martinez, an eight-year-old student in Smith’s class, later died from his injuries at Loma Linda University Medical Center. The other student, a nine-year-old boy, was reported to be in critical condition.
Investigators are searching for clues that point to a motive. Witnesses said Anderson walked into the school claiming that he had to drop something off for Smith, a special needs teacher.
According to San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan, the couple was recently married.
“I’m told that their marriage was relatively short. They’ve only been married for a few months and they’ve been separated for about the last month, month-and-a-half, roughly, when this incident took place,” Burguan said. “But there’s nobody that in the investigation has come forward to say that they saw this coming.”
At the time of the shooting at least 15 students ranging from first to fourth grade were in the classroom, along with two aides.
The community banded together at a prayer vigil on Monday evening at Our Lady of the Assumption.
This is the second fatal incident within the last two years in San Bernardino. In December 2015, a couple opened fire at a holiday party held by the San Bernardino Health Department, killing 14 people.
1. MJ was a victim of physical abuse from his father as a child. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey, he shed tears and claimed that he was so terrified of his father that he would often vomit when he saw him.
1 of 20
2. His favorite animated character from childhood was Pinocchio.
2 of 20
3. When MJ listened to the songs from his days in The Jackson 5, he said he sounded like “Minnie Mouse.”
3 of 20
4. His middle name was Joseph – Michael Joseph Jackson.
4 of 20
5. “Billie Jean” is allegedly based on a true story. MJ claims an obsessive fan tried to say he was the father of her child.
5 of 20
6. His first song to hit the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart was “Ben” in 1972.
6 of 20
7. MJ was a huge Beatles fan. He paid $47 million for the publishing rights to the Beatles back catalogue in 1985 and sold a share of it to Sony in 1995 for $95 million.
7 of 20
8. Get this… The costumes for the “Thriller” video came from the Salvation Army.
8 of 20
9. Jackson invented and owns the patent for the special anti-gravity boots he wore that allowed him to lean forward extremely far in live performances of “Smooth Criminal.”
9 of 20
10. MJ loved animals, and had several…strange pets. He had a python called Crusher, two llamas called Louis and Lola, and his most famous pet was Bubbles, the chimpanzee.
10 of 20
11. Sources say MJ “borrowed” the Moonwalk from street dancers he saw outside a hotel.
11 of 20
12. The original song title for “Thriller” was “Starlight.”
12 of 20
13. Sources say MJ slept in an oxygen tent to live longer and for cosmetic purposes.
13 of 20
14. MJ was a proud owner of a 2,700-acre Neverland Ranch that has a theme park, a menagerie, and a movie theater.
14 of 20
15. “Home Alone” star Macaulay Culkin was one of MJ’s closest friends, and is the godfather of two of Jackson’s children.
15 of 20
16. MJ’s estate signed a deal with Sony that gave them access to his unreleased recordings for $250 million.
16 of 20
17. MJ often wore a black armband to remind people of the suffering of children around the world.
17 of 20
18. The Los Angeles mansion he was renting just before he passed away once belonged to Sean Connery.
18 of 20
19. MJ was allegedly a pretty avid reader… He was once accused by a library of owing $1 million in overdue book fines.
19 of 20
20. Wikipedia, Twitter, and AOL’s Instant Messenger all crashed at 3:15PM on the day MJ died: June 25, 2009.
20 of 20
Continue reading What We Know: Murder-Suicide At San Bernardino School Leaves 3 Dead
20 Things You Didn’t Know About The Legendary Michael Jackson