If you’re planning on traveling internationally and don’t have a United States passport, the Atlanta Transport Agency is urging travelers to apply early and for those in need of a renewal should apply early as well.
Due to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) which requires all U.S. citizens and foreigns alike to present a passport when entering the United States, a surge of passport applications and renewals has increased and this means longer than average wait times extending to 2018 for processing applications over the coming months.
Last year, the wait time was four weeks but standard processing is now six weeks. Citizens should check their passport’s expiration date and quickly apply to avoid travel delays.
If you are renewing, you have the option to renew by mail or in person.
To renew by mail you are eligible if the following is true:
- If the passport is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
- If the passport was issued when you were age 16 or older;
- If the passport was issued within the last 15 years; and
- If the passport was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.
To apply for a passport, first check to see if you are eligible here.
Appointments are required and are FREE at all passport agencies. However be prepared to pay a $60 expedite fee if within 4 weeks of travel in addition to the normal application, renewal, and/or execution fees that are also required.
You can call 24/7 to schedule an appointment at 1-877-487-2778.
Important documents to prepare once you have scheduled an appointment are:
- Appointment confirmation number
- Proof of international travel
- Completed forms
- All required supporting documents (including one photo and a front and back photocopy of identification)
- A major Credit Card, Debit/Check card (not ATM cards), Check, Bank Draft, Cash (Exact Change), or Money Order to cover the application and expedited fees.
Our local passport agency address is:
Atlanta Passport Agency
230 Peachtree St NW, Suite 1000
Atlanta, GA 30303