Monday, the “NewsOne Now” panel discussed the 45th NAACP Image Awards. Harvey “Star” Washington, Jamie Foster Brown and Eben Gregory joined Roland Martin for the discussion. Panelists praised the award show and many of the stars’ appearances on the red carpet, but Foster Brown took issue with black stars who don’t acknowledge the black designers who make their clothes.
“One of the things that kind of concerns me a little is that we’re always giving exposure to other designers, especially when we’re on the carpet” said Foster Brown. “There are black designers [and] we never big them up. [It] just irritates me because they do so well…I didn’t hear one…When we have the opportunity to have a platform like that, we have to bring everyone along.”
Foster Brown went on to say that she even knows certain black stars who will ask black designers to not share that they worked on their red carpet looks, presumably to maintain crossover appeal for their brands.
“How are we going to grow, how are we going to flourish if we don’t help one another,” asked Foster Brown.
Did you miss the 45th NAACP Image Awards? Well, NewsOne, Hello Beautiful and The Urban Daily have you covered! The sites were front and center in covering the show to pull together some the greatest moments for you from slideshows of the best dressed to video of the most moving speeches – and a full list of the winners. Check it out!
- Pay Homage! Patti LaBelle & Gladys Knight Shutdown NAACP Awards Viewing Party [PHOTOS]
- Black Hollywood Agrees! The NAACP Awards Are Still Needed! [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- 2014 NAACP Image Awards Highlights: Lupita’s Charming Acceptance Speech & More
- ‘The Butler’ Finally Gets The Recognition It Deserves: NAACP Image Awards Winners List
- [Slideshow] Best & Worst Dressed: The 45th NAACP Image Awards
Jamie Foster Brown: ‘Not One Black Designer Named at Image Awards’ was originally published on newsone.com