Barbara Cheeseborough, best known as the first model to cover ESSENCE magazine in 1970, has died from colon cancer.
According to the Philadelphia Daily News, the 67-year-old beauty was living in Pomona, Calif. at the time of her death on Thursday, October 24. She is surveyed by her her husband, photographer William Edward Cheeseborough, and daughter, Sia Suon Cheeseborough Bey.
Barbara left behind a legacy of excellence in the fashion world. She started modeling in Philly after graduating from South Philadelphia High School, and shortly after tying the knot in 1966, she took her big dreams to New York City.
“Well, I tried New York and it wasn’t easy,” she said in an undated early interview. “No one wanted a new girl. But I kept trying and began to get booked more and more.”
She went on to land the covers of Vogue, Bazaar, Redbook, Cosmopolitan and many other high-fashion publications during 20-year career.
Cheeseborough’s sister-in-law, Carrie Heard, described her as “a beautiful person, kind, very giving.”
“Everybody loved her,” she told the Philadelphia Daily News.
Funeral services were held on November 8th at Mount Airy Baptist Church in Philadelphia.
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Check Out This Gallery
Out & About At Essence Music Festival
1. Morris Chestnut1 of 31
2. Boris Kodjoe & Ryan Cameron2 of 31
3. Andrea Kelly, Keshia Walker & Nicole Murphy3 of 31
4. Andrea Kelly & Nicole Murphy4 of 31
5. Boris Kodjoe, Ronny Devoe, Keshia Walker, Ryan Cameron and DJ Tayrock5 of 31
6. Boris Kodjoe6 of 31
7. Kevin Hart7 of 31
8. Lance Gross8 of 31
9. LeToya Luckett9 of 31
10. Natural Beauties10 of 31
11. SheaMoisture Sweeties11 of 31
12. Photobooth12 of 31
13. The Crowd13 of 31
14. Marsha Ambrosius, Felicia Leatherwood & Jewels14 of 31
15. Nicole Ari Parker, Felicia Leatherwood & Jewels Barron15 of 31
16. Glenn Lewis Performing16 of 31
17. Bun B17 of 31
18. Avant Performing18 of 31
19. Avant, Rhonda Mcdonald of Hennessy & Glenn Lewis19 of 31
20. Lance Gross & Hennessy Girls20 of 31
21. Lance Gross, Rebecca Jefferson & Friends21 of 31
22. Pooch Hall22 of 31
23. Lance Gross23 of 31
24. Laz Alonso24 of 31
25. Laz Alonso & Lance Gross25 of 31
26. Steve Harvey26 of 31
27. Shawn Thompson27 of 31
28. Charlie Wilson and Emile Sande28 of 31
29. Boris Kodjoe29 of 31
30. Boris Kodjoe and Shawn Thompson30 of 31
31. Shawn Thompson31 of 31
Barbara Cheeseborough, ESSENCE’s First Cover Model, Dies At 67 was originally published on hellobeautiful.com