We all know Oprah’s one of the top Black women out here making major money moves, but over in Nigeria, our favorite media mogul has some extreme competition! Nigerian oil tycoon Folorunsho Alakija, is worth $7.3 billion, whereas Oprah is worth a whopping $5 billion less!
According to Ventures Africa, Alakija owns 60 percent of the Brazilian oil company, Petrobas. But even before Alakija was a part of this lucrative oil company, she was already born into a wealthy Nigerian family. Once Alakija started working in the mid 70s as a secretary at the International Merchant Bank of Nigeria, she realized her passion was fashion. So she quit in the 80s and took up fashion design in London.
She then used her fashion and business savvy to return to Nigeria and start a company, Supreme Stitches, a premium Nigerian fashion label that catered exclusively to upscale clientele, including Maryam Babangida, the wife of Nigeria’s former military President Ibrahim Babangida. Alakija used her connections from providing clothing for the rich to gain an oil prospecting license (you know, because rich people know about these sorts of things) and that oil company is what got her the fortune she has today.
So, there’s a lesson here folks. Use the connections you make in your current position to fuel your next big break. We love seeing people of color thrive!
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Check Out This Gallery Of Billionaires Who Love Black Women!
The Sweeter The Juice: Billionaires Who Love Black Women!
1. For The Love Of Money1 of 12
2. Eve With Husband, Maximillion Cooper2 of 12
3. Mellody Hobson WIth Hubby, George Lucas3 of 12
4. Janet Jackson With Hubby, Wissam Al Mana4 of 12
5. Beyonce With Hubby, Jay Z5 of 12
6. Naomi Campbell With Controverisial Ex, Vladimir Doronin6 of 12
7. Kelly Rowland With Old Flame Sir Richard Branson7 of 12
8. Iman With Hubby, David Bowie8 of 12
9. Angela Howard With Hubby, Matt Stone9 of 12
10. Grace Hightower With Hubby, Robert De Niro10 of 12
11. Patrice Motsepe WIth Hubby Dr. Precious Moloi Motsepe11 of 12
12. Sheila and Bob Johnson12 of 12
Move Over Oprah! Meet The Newest & Richest Black Woman In The World! was originally published on hellobeautiful.com