Meteorologists say a first round will come earlier this evening, but the latest radar models indicate the most serious round will come around 10 pm tonight. Heavy rain, very dangerous and destructive lightning, damaging winds and large hail are expected. This storm also has very good potential for producing life-threatening tornadoes.
Because the wickedest part of the storm will take place late tonight, you should prepare and plan safety measures with your family.
- Have a NOAA weather radio available with fresh batteries in case your electricity goes out. You’ll need to be aware of tornado watches and warnings.
- If a Tornado warning is issued, take cover immediately. Get out of automobiles or mobile homes and move into sturdier structures.
- Tornadoes move quickly. Tell family members to sleep or move to the interior rooms on the lowest floor, and away from glass windows.
- Recent deaths have been caused by falling trees. If you have a large tree near your home, be sure to sleep in an interior room and on the lowest floor.
- Also have fresh batteries in your smoke detector in case a strike ignites a fire.