Sports writers and radio hosts are calling Floyd “Money” Mayweather every thing but chicken sh*t, claiming the fight of the century between him and Manny Paquiao is being stalled by Mayweather.
This mega fight was supposed to happen last year, but Pacquiao refused to submit to Olympic-style drug testing. Now Bob Arum, Pacuiao’s promoter, says Pacquiao will commit to the testing, but they’ve heard nothing but crickets from Mayweather’s camp.
Pacquiao has decided to move on to fight Miguel Cotto on November 13th or fight disgraced fighter Antonio Margarito.
“I’m as baffled as anyone,” promoter Bob Arum said.
Mayweather hasn’t offered much insight himself. There’s speculation that he’s waiting to see what will happen with his uncle Roger’s trial next month on assault charges.
“I’m not interested in rushing to do anything,” Mayweather said.
In other words, Bob Arum, “You don’t own me!”
Arum was trying to step up the pressure on Mayweather, but his heart doesn’t seem in it. On a Monday phone call, he sounded resigned to moving on:
“What am I supposed to do? The kid is under no obligation to fight again this year, and I can’t make him fight.”
Mayweather’s silence prompted Arum to hold a midnight conference call over the weekend, where he announced the possible Cotto or Margarito fights. Neither of those fights has much appeal, but Arum controls both fighters. Pacquiao is such a phenomenon that he will do decent pay-per-view numbers and make his millions.
But Mayweather’s camp says that’s BS.
Mayweather’s advisor, Leonard Ellerbe, says:
“Here are the facts: Al Haymon, Richard Schaefer and myself speak to each other on a regular basis and the truth is no negotiations have ever taken place nor was there ever a deal agreed upon by Team Mayweather or Floyd Mayweather to fight Manny Pacquiao on November 13th. Either Ross Greenburg or Bob Arum is not telling the truth, but history tells us who is lying.”